ˇ@ˇ@After the retrocession of Taiwan in 1945, the government, for implement of democratic and promotion of local autonomy, began to set up city and county assemblies according to the ˇ§Institute of Organization for City and County Councilˇ¦sˇ¨ in 1946. The councilors were indirectly elected by hsian and town assembly and occupational groups when this county belonged to TaipeiCounty. In April 1950. The Taiwan Provincial Government announced ˇ§the Outline for Implementing Local Autonomy for Cities and Countiesˇ¨ for implement of local autonomy. The administrative regions were reallocated in September. Yilan County Council was founded in February 24 next year to lay preliminary foundation for local autonomy.
ˇ@ˇ@Because of a limited initial budget, the council first operated from a leased office on the second floor of the Taiwan Cooperation Bank Yilan Branch building. In July 1952, the YilanCounty government appropriated a budget for the council to build its own office building on 8 Weshui Road, which commenced operations on July 20 of the same year. (The building now serves as the office building of council members elected from YilanCity.)
ˇ@ˇ@The councilˇ¦s operations soon outgrew the first buildingˇ¦s capacity and in 1958 the council funded the construction of a second office building on the same street (96 Weshui Road), which commenced operation on January 30, 1959. In 1975, the council constructed a conference room for the investigation committee. Though the entire building was renovated in 1985, it is now over 40 years old and several equipments are either damaged or obsolete. This, plus the worsening traffic and parking problems in the buildingˇ¦s downtown area, has had a negative affected on the councilˇ¦s operational efficiency. The council thus moved its operations alongside the YilanCounty government, which had relocated to the countyˇ¦s administration center. Construction on the new building began on September 3, 1997 and was completed in August 2001. The council moved into the new building, located on 1 Hsiencheng South Road, on August 17, 2001. The meeting hallˇ¦s inaugural meeting was the eighth meeting of the council members elected during the 14th election.
ˇ@ˇ@Since the council was founded on February 14, 1951, a total of 18 council member elections have been held, electing a total of 584 representatives.